The ease of using using WordPress as content management system (CMS) prodded many folks to go a step further and tweak the themes and plugins of WordPress. That is the first step for many folks to get a taste of (and to feel the power of) web development. WordPress runs the internet: WordPress is used by more than 27.5% of the top 10 million websites on internet. You can easily harness the power of WordPress as a web developer. Here is how you can learn WordPress development as a beginner:
– Second, people who know above mentioned languages.
If you come under the first category, I recommend you to polish your basics of these language. Here are the best online programming tutorials for:
No doubt, WordPress is attractive, but that doesn’t mean you should jump off to any part of it. Take small steps. In very brief, here are the steps to follow according to your level of being a beginner WordPress Developer –
- A) Complete beginner (You know nothing about coding and related terms and languages.)
- Set Up A Local Development Environment: Install a software (Local Development Environment) locally for your own computer like these: MAMP (mac users), WAMP (windows users), or LAMP (linux users).
- Study the fundamentals: Since you’re a beginner, study HTML and CSS for the start so that you are aware of the codes used in WordPress development.
- B) Adventurous beginner (You’ve tried your hand with HTML and CSS, a little hint of PHP also.)
- Dive deeper into WordPress theme development: Set up a local development environment and then start learning WordPress theme development in depth. You can learn it from various video tutorials or books available online.
- Learn PHP with deeper understanding: PHP is the language that works with database, stores and gets the content out for us. You know HTML and CSS so much that you can play with the WordPress themes. After that, PHP is utterly important to know. You can find PHP video tutorials here [hackr link].
III) Competent beginner (You know HTML and CSS well, started creating WordPress themes also. Have some PHP knowledge as well, understand WordPress functions.)
- Start basic plugin development: Now that you know important parts of WordPress, how HTML, CSS and PHP work with the functionality and look-and-feel of a WordPress website, you can easily move on to learn plugin development to add more features to your project.
If you are a beginner in whichever category stated above, you need to stick to some very simple guidelines to learn WordPress development. Here they go…
Examine ready-made codes
Keep studying other people’s successful codes from millions of websites and make yourself habituated with the style of writing codes. Even if you belong to the first category of beginners I mentioned, you should always keep yourself updated with the ‘trends’ of coding to better understand the little ways which will be useful when you’ll do it on your own. This is actually true in all the cases of programming languages, so it’s true if you want to learn WordPress development also.
A lot of open source websites are there to study WordPress projects. Start identifying codes and especially, what their function is.
Follow WordPress coding norms
Just like anything that works systematically, WordPress requires it too. Although, if you’re an expert WordPress developer (but, you said that you’re a beginner..) and you don’t want anybody else to understand what you have written, write the codes as you want. But there is a norm that is created just for one reason – to make everyone able to read your WordPress code equally well, without your explanation.
Read and watch more
Go for reading relevant blogs and watching videos that are run by WordPress developers who will help you understand everything from the basics. You can watch helpful WordPress tutorial videos here. Keep visiting some news websites that post about improvements in the world of WordPress development.
Try experimenting with the codes you find on these blogs, websites, tutorials etc. Copy and paste them to modify and see what effect it shows. You’ll learn by having this hands-on training on your own.
Other than these three guidelines, you should do this, as a beginner – COPY.
Start copying your favorite WordPress websites in terms of design, features, functionality and whatever. Replicate them and see what you missed, and did well. This is just experimenting, I’m not asking you not to apply your creativity. WordPress is vast and you can do a lot of things in there. It is your start for a journey to learn WordPress development. The best will come out only when you practice a lot.
The time is NOW to learn WordPress development…
So now you know that WordPress development involves the knowledge of so many other languages. It can seem overwhelming, it is, but when you move step-by-step and with fully understanding the purpose, you can learn and then master it.
Start right away and keep yourself updated.
PS: For the best online programming courses and tutorials visit https://hackr.io